Mountain Mail: 8/26/18
Here we are in our final days of summer vacation! I know for many of you with children in other schools you are already adjusting to the pace of a new school year. I hope those transitions have gone well for your family. And that your TMS students are prepping and excited about returning too. This is my last official day of summer break; as a staff we return to campus tomorrow. I know it will certainly require an effort on my part to get myself up and moving in the early hours!
There are a few things I would like to address before this week is over in order to give us all time to organize for next week.
As summer comes to an end now would be the time to check in with your child and make sure they are on track to complete their summer reading requirements. As part of the online forum for their Restart reading I have seen much of the discussion that students have participated in and it has been a pleasure to witness their engagement. I also know though that many have yet to join in. Help your student get off to a successful start by encouraging their involvement.
Click here for the .pdf with details and book lists
CHANGE OF CAMPING DATES
A new updated calendar will be in your Parent Handbook that you will receive next week, but until then please note this important change.
Montana de Oro Camping
Monday October 22nd - Friday October 26th
Calendar dates for this upcoming week
This upcoming week we will have several opportunities to spend time together!! I am so looking forward to connecting.
Wednesday - Student Beach Day and Parent Get-together. (See below)
Thursday - Parent Orientation Meeting. Refreshment served from 6:30pm. Meeting starts at 7:00pm.
Friday - Campus Clean-up and Beautification Day. 9:00am onwards
An email will follow next week with more details of Thursday and Friday's events but before then we need to get organized for our first two events on Wednesday.
Please read all the information that follows and then answer these questions and submit this form:
Student Get-Together/Beach Day
Wednesday 29th 1:00 - 3:30pm
Topanga State Beach
- We will gather at Topanga State Beach just north of the canyon.
- If dropping off, there is a parking lot (opposite The Reel Inn), but also plenty of free street parking.
- You will find us at to the right of the bathrooms at the bottom of the stairs from the parking lot north of Topanga Canyon Blvd. You can't miss us - the beach is small there and we will have awnings up for shade.
- We will supply healthy snacks and lemonade.
- Water bottles, ready filled, are a good idea.
- Students will need sunscreen/hats and beach-shoes (the sand can be very hot).
- We need you to sign in and give contact info as you drop off your child (school and beach).
- If you need your child brought from the valley, vans will be leaving school (Oxnard parking lot) promptly at 12:15pm. There will be limited seating so please RSVP (see above) if your child needs a spot.
- We will circle up at the beach no later than 1:15pm. Please do not be late. It makes it more difficult to comfortably join in once we have begun and can create anxiety for the child.
- TMS offers a shuttle for your child to the Lombardo’s house or back to school at the end of beach day. However, we do need to know how many vans we will need - so please RSVP (see above).
FYI - this is a time for your children to meet and play together at the beach, students are not allowed in the water during their time with TMS. Parents sometimes will come for pick up to supervise their own children's ocean cravings!
This event is for TMS students only - you get your own party!
Wednesday 29th 1:30pm - 4:30pm
The Lombardo’s Home
21324 Hillside Drive
After dropping off your child at the beach or school, TMS parents are invited to come together at Ann and Vince Lombardo's home (Lucy's parents) in Topanga. Directions attached.
This is not only a wonderful opportunity to meet everyone, but for some of you it may the first drive up to the Mesa where we hold our Wednesday classes. For those of you who haven't been before it will be great to have tackled the drive up to the mesa now - because it won't be your last time!
Parking is limited in the Lombardo driveway so please park on Hillside and walk in. Make sure your car is off the road as much as possible. Carpooling is always a good idea! I will send directions next week nearer the time.
Thank you Ann and Vince for opening your home to us once again. Refreshments will be served. Find out about our parent organization The Mountain Movers. Kirsty Iredale, our ceramic’s teacher will be there for you try out the clay too.
Don't forget to answer the question above! Thank you. And see you all next week.
Peace ~ Joy